Current:Home > MarketsRekubit-Multiple shark attacks reported off New York shores; 50 sharks spotted at one beach -Visionary Wealth Guides
Rekubit-Multiple shark attacks reported off New York shores; 50 sharks spotted at one beach
Indexbit Exchange View
Date:2025-04-05 23:17:59
Two swimmers were apparently attacked by sharks off the shores of Long Island on RekubitTuesday, a day after two others reported being attacked while enjoying the water at popular New York beaches.
At least one beach delayed opening to holiday revelers Tuesday, after officials said drones spotted some 50 sand sharks that morning near a popular beach park. When the beach reopened, swimmers were advised to stay close to shore.
"This morning, prior to lifeguards going on duty and our authorizing swimming, we had a complete drone patrol. And right here in front of Field 3, we saw a school of sharks. There were approximately 50 sand sharks there," Charles Gorman, New York State Parks Regional Director, told CBS New York.
The beach was closed once more after a possible shark sighting, but officials determined it was a dolphin.
Suffolk County and East End beaches are keeping a close watch on the water after more shark sightings. There were two new reports of bites Tuesday that follow two other possible attacks Monday. @DBrennanTV reports. https://t.co/aLmpHYfEui
— CBS New York (@CBSNewYork) July 5, 2023
After a spate of attacks last year, state parks officials have increased patrols and deployed more drones to scout the waters for possible danger.
"We did have a season last year where we had six swimmers bitten from sharks, so this has turned into a bit of a concern," Suffolk County Police Commissioner Rodney Harrison told WABC.
Tuesday's incidents happened about 60 miles (95 kilometers) apart, including one off Fire Island Pines - not far from another attack the day before when a 15-year-old reported being bitten on one of his feet by a shark while surfing.
Earlier Monday, another 15-year-old girl was treated for an apparent shark bite to a leg.
"She didn't see what bit her, the lifeguards didn't know what bit her, the drone operator checked the area, we didn't see," Gorman said. "So we can't definitively say what bit her."
Tuesday's shark encounters both occurred just before 2 p.m.
A 47-year-old man was in chest-deep water off Quogue Village Beach in the Hamptons when he felt an apparent bite to his right knee, Quogue police said. He told authorities that he did not see a shark.
As a precaution, Quogue police advised swimmers to stay out of the water until officials could assess the risks.
Soon after, miles away, a 49-year-old man reported having a hand bitten while swimming near Fire Island Pines Beach.
Despite the attacks, holiday revelers remained on the beach.
"That's nature and maybe we are taking over their domain and they don't like it," 90-year-old Diana Fratello told CBS New York.
During the summer of 2022, there were eight shark bites off Long Island shores.
- In:
- Shark Attack
- New York
veryGood! (34268)
Related
- Trump issues order to ban transgender troops from serving openly in the military
- Amanda Seyfried Reveals Kids’ Reaction to Her Silver Hairstyle and Purple Lipstick at Met Gala 2024
- Lana Del Rey stuns as ethereal forest nymph in custom Alexander McQueen at Met Gala
- We're Confident You'll Love This Update on Demi Lovato's New Music
- Alex Murdaugh’s murder appeal cites biased clerk and prejudicial evidence
- David Corenswet's Superman revealed in James Gunn reboot first look
- David Corenswet's Superman revealed in James Gunn reboot first look
- A Rare Dose of Hope for the Colorado River as New Study Says Future May Be Wetter
- Apple iOS 18.2: What to know about top features, including Genmoji, AI updates
- Matt Damon and Luciana Barroso Turn 2024 Met Gala Into a Rare Date Night
Ranking
- A South Texas lawmaker’s 15
- Rita Ora Reveals 2024 Met Gala Dress Features Beads Older Than Anyone On This Planet
- Zendaya, Gigi Hadid and More Best Dressed Stars at the 2024 Met Gala
- All eyes on The Met: What celebs will see inside Monday's high-fashion gala
- Opinion: Gianni Infantino, FIFA sell souls and 2034 World Cup for Saudi Arabia's billions
- Stock market today: Asian shares mostly higher, though China benchmarks falter
- Tornado tears through northeast Oklahoma, leaves trail of damage
- Kendall Jenner's Butt-Baring Met Gala Look Makes Fashion History
Recommendation
Intellectuals vs. The Internet
Teens charged with felonies for dumping barrels full of trash into ocean after viral video
MLB's Rob Manfred addresses timeline for gambling investigation into Ohtani's translator
Blake Lively Misses the 2024 Met Gala
Biden administration makes final diplomatic push for stability across a turbulent Mideast
Condé Nast workers reach labor agreement with publisher, averting Met Gala strike
Russia critic Kara-Murza wins Pulitzer for passionate columns written from prison cell
The FAA investigates after Boeing says workers in South Carolina falsified 787 inspection records